Des Moines - The Capital City of Iowa

 



The weather was miserable as I left Buddy Holly in Clear Lake. I had a 150 mile drive in my rented Malibu to Des Moines on I-35. I am not sure if I saw the sun at all in our 5 days in Iowa. I saw miles and miles of corn fields - freshly plowed under - getting ready for planting. The rain makes the rich soil even look blacker. 

At the capitol building they had some free visitor parking spaces. I went inside and immediately found the cafeteria. I had chicken - mashed potatoes with gravy - and green beans. I rubbed elbows with the legislators. Everyone wanted to know I would leave Florida for their miserable weather. I had free rein in the building - no doors were off limits. After a simple metal detector - I was one of them. I went into the Senate and watched a voting session. 

In 1962 - I was on a train from Pennsylvania to New Mexico. I was going to the Philmont Scout Ranch. My train went thru Iowa at night. I remember little.  

Next I went to the State Museum and Library. I had the place to myself - admission was free. 

Iowa has about 3 million people and 22 million hogs. Hogs eat the corn. Hog manure is turned into fertilizer. Hog sewage is a big problem. 



Dorie Miller was a hero 
at Pearl Harbor. He was a cook
but manned a machine gun in the turmoil.

I watched a film about making
the Field of Dreams.

Josephine Baker grew up 
in St Louis. 

The silver from the ship
USS Iowa.

The USS Iowa built around 1900. 


This was an earth Glen Curtis Flyer.

Electric cars ruled the road around 1900.

State Library and Museum

Reflection of the Capitol


Iowa State Supreme Court

Capitol wood work and tile.

Iowa Senate

The present governor.

Iowa Capitol Dome

Civil War Mortar - 
Iowas was a Northern State. 

Lincoln and his son Tad



A memorial to women 
voting rights. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Electric Trike Rickshaw - Product Review

Review of GE Profile Washer-Dryer Combo - After 10 Days

Electric Trike Rickshaw