I Got to Inspect A New Tesla Truck and Also Test Full Self Driving (FSD) in a Tesla Model Y

John's new Tesla Truck


John's old - 4 year old Model Y


Today I had the pleasure of inspecting a Tesla Truck - they call it a Cybertruck - up close and personal. John - a fellow member of the electric car club - met me at his home to show me the truck. He also took me for a drive in his 2020 Tesla Model Y with full self driving (FSD). My Tesla Model 3 also has FSD but I do not pay the $200 monthly premium to use it. I have autopilot which is the poor man's version of FSD. 

First off - I loved his 2020 Tesla Model Y. It is bigger inside and taller on the outside than my car. It is easier to get in and out of - it has a big hatchback for loading stuff. Think of it as an SUV. John bought it 4 years ago for $60000. It has 35,000 miles on it - and he is asking $35,000 for it. So I cost him $25,000 for 4 years of driving. It is a well kept perfect car. It takes some getting used to having the car turning - starting - stopping - changing lanes - etc - all by itself. It was pretty good - but I would not crawl in the back seat and sleep. 

He put it up for sale - and supposedly a guy from Alabama is coming with a cashier's check at 3pm today. 

The new truck cost $100k. It is much bigger - has tons of horsepower and pulling torque. The cab seats 5. The truck bed has a power cover over it. I could easily see camping in the truck bed. 

It has 4 wheel drive and 4 wheels steering. When going down the road - all 4 wheels turn when you turn left. When you are going slow - the rear wheels turn the opposite way - like a fire truck. 

My car has an 82 KWH battery. This truck has a 125 KWH battery - almost twice as much storage power. The truck features an inverter and outlets. You can power your home from the truck battery. If you had a home solar system - you could store power in the truck. 

The body is stainless steel - it only comes in one color - stainless steel. You could certainly paint it or plastic wrap it. You will not mistake it for any other car in the parking lot at Walmart. By pressing a button you can raise the car up 6 inches - it also kneels down for you to get in. 

Most places still make electricity by burning gas - oil - coal. But there is no pollution coming from the truck. If you have solar or wind power - then you can drive for free - after paying the admission fee of $100,000. 

My red Tesla cost $53,000. It is 30 months old. Now one can buy the same car for under $40,000 - you could buy a lot of gasoline with the $13,000 my car depreciated. I love the quiet and power of my car. I have never driven a car that is quite as nice. But is it worth losing $6000 a year in depreciation - that is something you must decide. 





You can plug your house in here
to power it during a storm

The truck bed has an electric 
sliding roof. 

You drive with a tiny yoke wheel.
It is electric steering

The back wheels turn opposite

The steering yoke only turns like 90 degrees.

The fit and finish of the 
stainless steel is superb

Four doors - seats five

It has a power tail gate

It has tremendous towing power - 
but it affects your range

Rear view only by cameras.





 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Electric Trike Rickshaw - Product Review

Review of GE Profile Washer-Dryer Combo - After 10 Days

Electric Trike Rickshaw